Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The One With Mr. Washington


As you all know, this weekend was a holiday (for some, and evidently a bitter point of contention for others). We celebrated President's day on or around George Washington's birthday, presumably because he was the first president and set the precedent for all other presidents after him and was an all-around good guy except that time it was totally his fault that the French and Indian war started. (Yeah, a little FF fun fact for you). 

Anywhoodle, Kyle and Nicole came to visit this weekend and it was really fun. I really wanted to go to a Revolutionary War re-enactment, but we didn't quite make it to that on time. We did, however, make it to Mt. Vernon in time to wish Mr. Washington a very-special-once-in-a-lifetime 277th birthday. 
We were waiting line outside of the mansion for the tour, and Kyle went around to investigate and see if he could locate Mr. Washington. He did, and reported back that there was a) no line, b) the actor playing Mr. Washington looked like he was using his real hair and c) was very serious and would not break character. 
I was really excited to go see him, so Nicole and I went over and creeped up on him and just sat down next to him in some chairs on the back porch of the mansion and didn't say anything. Mr. Washington asked us where we were from, and when we said Oregon, he said he did not know where that was, because of course he was in George Washington times and America stopped at the Ohio River. 
Essentially, it was probably the most awkward I have ever felt in all of my life (which is saying a lot, considering the amount of awkward situations I find myself in), and I am sure it was quite painful for Mr. Washington as well. I am not satisfied with the way that encounter went at all, and plan on studying my GW facts so that Nicole and I can give him a pop quiz the next time we visit him at his home. 
Ugh. 

0 comments: